Monday, February 20, 2012

Time for Bruschetta!

Let me start this off by saying that I DO NOT like raw tomatoes. Never have, and I don't guess I ever will. I keep trying them, but they just taste bitter to me.  With that being said, I was a little skeptical about making bruschetta, since the main ingredient is tomatoes.

So, here is the original link on Pinterest, http://pinterest.com/pin/218424650646959016/, and here is the site it led me to in order to get the recipe, http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/bruschetta_with_tomato_and_basil/.

So i flash boiled the grape tomatoes for the top, for one minute, then peeled them and cut them. Added the seasonings as directed, except for I used garlic powder instead of real garlic cloves. Once I got everything together and stirred, I cut my loaf of bread (I used Italian) and basted it with olive oil on each side and baked it until it was a little brown.  Then I added the tomato mixture onto the top.

I popped it in the oven at 450 for about 5 minutes or so.  It was absolutely delicioso!!!! The tomatoes were just cooked enough that it took away that acidic, bitter flavor I don't like and it was heaven with every bite.  Here's the finished product.

*As a sidenote* I have made this two other times since the original time I made this recipe.  I added shredded parmesan cheese to the top the second time, and it made it even more heavenly than the first attempt.  I also made it a third time and cooked and cut up a thin ribeye and mixed in with the tomato mixture and put it on top and then added the cheese. It was a meal in itself.  Fabulous.  Bruschetta has become pretty popular around our house! I hope it will with yours too!! As always, if you decide to try it out, please drop me a note and let me know how it goes.                                                 



1 comment:

  1. looks yum..and I love Bruschetta I"ll have to try this. I'll post when I do. :)

    ReplyDelete